Prices for Platinum, Palladium and Rhodium have fallen to a 2-year low, and sadly, the outlook remains gloomy. At BR Metals, we understand the challenges faced by our customers during a bear market for platinum group metals (PGMs). Prices for these metals can be volatile, and when they’re on a downturn, it might seem counterintuitive to recycle your catalytic converters. However, there are still good reasons to consider sending your converters for recycling even in these conditions.
Here’s our practical advice for navigating this market:
- View the Bigger Picture: Remember that markets are cyclical. Just as prices can drop, they can also rebound. By recycling now, you ensure that the material is processed and ready for sale when the market recovers.
- Efficient Processing Matters: During a bear market, the efficiency of the recycling process becomes even more crucial. Choose a recycling company that offers the best recovery rates to maximize your returns.
Our automated bulk sampling system has 5 patents and is engineered to improve efficiency and processing time by 15% and reduce wastage by 6%. This means that you will get more accurate analysis and receive better returns from your catalytic converter lots.
We will continue to innovate and enhance our capabilities in every aspect of our operations to meet and even exceed customers’ expectations.
- Consider Volume: While individual prices for each piece might fluctuate, recycling in bulk can still result in a significant return. You might want to consider pooling resources with other businesses or individuals to benefit from our volume-based incentives.
Our bulk recycling or assay-based settlement pays as much as 15% higher than selling by piece.
- Transparent Transactions: Always work with transparent recyclers. We pride ourselves on providing detailed assays and transparent pricing. You’ll know exactly what you’re getting.
- Stay Informed: Monitor the PGM market or partner with us to get regular updates. We can provide insights, daily spot rates and data, which will allow you to make informed decisions about when to sell your stockpile.
- Opt for a Longer Payment Schedule: Some recycling companies, including ours, offer a holding option. We can process your converters now and delay the payment until the market conditions improve. By doing so, you will save on lease rates and other financial charges.
If cashflow is a concern, you could use your precious metals as a collateral for loans at competitive interest rates.
- Expert Consultation: Seek guidance from experts who can provide insights based on market analytics and forecasts. Their advice can help you decide when to recycle and when to wait.
- Build Relationships: Building a solid relationship with your recycler can offer benefits during market lows. Our loyal customers receive perks, faster processing times and other incentives.
- Contractual Agreements: If you have a long-term agreement with a recycling company, review your contract. We are always open to negotiate more favourable terms with our long-time customers even during bear markets.
- Diversify Your Portfolio: This is more of a long-term strategy, but if your business depends heavily on PGM prices, consider diversifying into other recyclable materials to mitigate risks.
We also recycle gold and silver scraps from different waste streams and sources as well as other PGM scraps. Find out more about our precious metals recycling service here https://www.brmetalsltd.com/service/gold-precious-metal-recovery/ and https://www.brmetalsltd.com/service/platinum-group-metals-scraps/
- Environmental Responsibility: Recycling catalytic converters isn’t just about monetary returns; it’s also about taking an environmentally responsible step. Even if the market is down, contributing to a sustainable future is always up.
- Stay Calm and Be Patient: Market downturns can be anxiety-provoking, but it’s essential to stay calm. Making hasty decisions can lead to regrets later. A balanced and informed approach is key.
We know too well that a prolonged PGM bear market can be discouraging but it’s essential to look beyond the immediate downturn. By taking proactive steps now, you can position yourself and your business for success in the future. At BR Metals, we’re always here to support and guide you, no matter the market conditions. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com